Sunday, February 19, 2012

Hoods

I've always been baffled by the clothing of Sora from Kingdom Hearts.  Now, I can overlook the zippers and the belts and the Mickey Mouse color scheme.  What bugs me is that his short-sleeve shirt has a hood.  Why?  What weather or event would mandate that your head be covered completely, but not your arms?  He lives on a tropical island, and as a person who lives on a tropical island let me tell you there is little occasion to wear a hood.  Considering he always has it down makes me doubt its necessity.  This is actually a recurring theme in Tetsuya Nomura's character designs.  Tidus has it, and Neku doesn't have a hood, per se, but he does have a scoop-like thing on a sleeveless shirt.

What is that thing?  Oh well.  I just wrote it off as something weird Tetsuya Nomura does.  But then I discovered this:
A hoodie-vest, being worn by Kagamine Rin.  Interesting.

As it turns out, this is an actual thing in Japan.  I have seen several Japanese students at my school wearing vests with hoods or short-sleeved hoodies of some kind.  Why?  It's much the same dilemma as the sweater-vest, which by the way appeared in that same video.

It's too warm for when it's warm, it's not warm enough for when it's cold.  These articles have no logical purpose.  They are kept, of course, purely for fashion reasons.

What this says is obvious: people are attracted to people with no sense of practicality.

No comments:

Post a Comment