Saturday, March 3, 2012

Top Ten Favorite Songs

A Top Ten Movies list is subjective.  A Top Ten Songs list is even more so.  It's pretty hard to put my finger on why exactly I like these songs any more than others; in many cases I just do.  Like my Top Ten Movies list, I'm going to restrict myself to one song per performer.

10. "Comme un Enfant (Freaks remix)"
Yelle

Yes, I listen to French music.  That's just how classy I am.  I'd probably put this higher on the list, except that I only just got into it and I'm not yet sure if it has the longevity of the others.

9. "For No One"
The Beatles

It's hard to imagine any respectable top ten songs list without The Beatles.

8. "Becoming Popular (The Pony Everypony Should Know)"
Rarity, written by Daniel Ingram

It came down to this one or "Winter Wrap-Up".  It wasn't an easy choice.

7. "Mykonos"
Fleet Foxes

I got into Fleet Foxes a while before they started getting popular, but not early enough that I can brag about it.  It's a frustrating nexus.

6. Everyone's a Hero
Nathan Fillion, from Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog

I know I said I couldn't put my finger on why I liked these songs.  Except for this one--it's the lyrics.  Everything Joss Whedon writes is golden.

5. "Chocolate"
Megpoid Gumi, written by Otetsu
Some people dislike Vocaloids for "ruining music" or not being "real".  That's just dumb.  Vocaloids are closer to an instrument than anything.  It's like saying "Boy, I really do hate this cello song", which people just don't say, unless there's a performer named Cello of whom I've not been made aware, in which case, yes, they would say that.

4. "I'll Take Us Home"
Matt & Kim

There's no greater proof that music is a subjective thing than the fact that I absolutely love Matt & Kim. Objectively, they're pretty terrible (they have virtually no formal training, so I don't think I'm overstepping my bounds in saying that) but I just love their sound.  Plus their songs are really, really easy to learn to play.

3. "Power of Life"
Yellow-Zebra, original version by Zun

If there was ever an argument against copyright law, it would be all the remixes and covers of Zun songs.  Imagine if everything had this much freedom to be redone by other artists, and how much awesome stuff we'd get.  The original version is called "A Flower-Studded Sake Dish on Mt. Ooe" from the video game series Touhou Project.

2. "She's An Angel"
They Might Be Giants

What's this?  They Might Be Giants isn't number one?  Yes, although what they lack in a close contest for the single number one song, they make up for in sheer quantity of absolutely amazing songs.  Without my "one song per performer" rule they'd probably make up at least half this list on their own.

1. This Too Shall Pass
OK Go

Is it weird that I prefer the marching band version?  Anyway, here it is, my single favorite song of all time so far.  I don't have a clue why, but if I had to guess I'd have to say because it's so divinely simple. The chords are: C, F, G, F, repeat.  The rhythm is 4/4.  I really don't know why I love it so much.  I just do.

Feel free to share your own top tens in the comments.

1 comment:

  1. My top eleven (it's one louder):

    11. It All Makes Sense at the End - Hank Green

    10. Fireflies of Montreal - Laurena Segura

    9. Love of an Orchestra - Noah and the Whale

    I can't help but love the choir.

    8. That's Some Dream - Good Old War

    7. Hey - Pixies

    6. Helplessness Blues - Fleet Foxes

    My favorite Fleet Foxes song, lyrically speaking. Though The Shrine/An Argument has my favorite music.

    5. All That's Known - Duncan Sheik and Steven Sater (Spring Awakening)

    My favorite semi-blasphemous song from Spring Awakening, of which there are many.

    4. Run Like An Antelope (7/16/1994) - Phish

    I would give several things to have been at this show. This version is fantastic.

    3. Echoes - Pink Floyd

    As a hardcore Pink Floyd fan I'm obligated to pick this song. Really though, the Live at Pompeii version is glorious.

    2. Holding - Yonder Mountain String Band

    Probably my favorite drug-related song.

    1. Life - Keller Williams

    I still don't know how his hands do the things they do when he plays guitar.

    Honorable Mentions: Restraint - Keller Williams, Touch Me - Duncan Sheik/Steven Sater, Rhapsody in Blue - George Gershwin, A Distorted Reality is Now a Necessity to Be Free - Elliott Smith

    ReplyDelete