Monday, March 5, 2012

The Best Things About College

BYU-Hawaii: The classes are easy, the people are friendly, and the weather is warm and sunny.  It's my personal hell.


However, my therapist encouraged me to think more positively, so here's the list of what I do like about my college.


-I live on-campus.  This means I can roll out of bed at 7:00 and make it to my 7:30 class with time for a leisurely breakfast in between.  "Community college has everything a four-year has"--never fall for this lie!
-Also on-campus, the health center.  Never before has my hypochondria felt so enabled.  Unlike high school, I'm quite certain these people have received actual medical training.
-Sometimes I legitimately forget whether or not my roommate is in the room.  It's the housing arrangement of my dreams.
-College textbooks are great.  No longer am I distracted by why a demographically-diverse group of people is so manically excited about chemistry.
-My campus is so diverse!  I'm always amazed at the different cultures, ways of life, and perspectives that can be homogenized into oblivion on a religious campus.
-Bulletin boards are everywhere, and with them, the possibility for pranks.  It's good to be alive and mildly sociopathic!
-The library may not have a fiction section (seriously, what?), but today they were giving away their old anthropology books.  FOR FREE.  I got five.
-Film class is pretty neat.  Last Friday we watched La Jetee, a French post-modern soft science-fiction psychological/body horror romantic tragicomic mind-bending photo-roman.  I defy you to name another film that demands that many adjectives.
-"If you don't learn to keep your room clean, what will you do with your dorm when you go to college?"  Hahahahahahahahahahaha.
-I still keep in contact with my friends who are still in high school.  I like to stroke my scraggly neckbeard and act sage over Facebook.
-I have to take the bus just about anywhere outside my 300-person town.  Taking the bus means standing in one place for several hours, doing nothing interesting, and being polite to rude idiots.  This means I can check on my job applications that I have retail experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment