Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The Nice Guy: A Webcomic Review

“The Nice Guy”, written by Michael O’Connell with art by Tim Watts and color by L. J’amal Walton, is a travesty of a webcomic which is held together only by its own myopia and utter ignorance of itself.
It starts out:
Didn’t they already make this into a show?  I think it was called “promptly cancelled”.  Your idea is not novel nor interesting enough to sustain a webcomic.  Typically one places the horse in front of the buggy, but hey, I’m not going to tell you how to do your job.
Actually I am.
Therefore, the soundest career advice I can give is “Quit now.  Stop trying.  Never touch paper nor a keyboard again.”
Anyway, the website itself is pretty well-designed, I’ll give them that much.  It’s about the only nice thing I can say about this travesty.  But hey, why bother talking about something that’s going to be so totally eclipsed as to cease to matter?  This webcomic sucks irredeemably.  Let’s talk about that.
Let’s take a look at the characters:


At the very best, we have a boring character.  We know nothing that makes him distinctive or memorable or which makes him seems like an interesting person.  The closest we get is that he’s supposed to be some kind of uber-nice messiah, our beleaguered everyman.  The problem is, real people aren’t like this.  They have interests more specific than “romance”.  This isn’t a character outline, this is a dating site profile that gets zero hits.
“Rejection” does not count as a “turn-off”.  No one likes rejection.  That does not make him special.
As a result, the only defining characteristic of this character is his name.  And even that’s pretty boring.  Seriously, “Jeff”?  You are bound by nothing but limits of your imagination, and you come up with “Jeff”?  You’re trying to make a memorable character and you name him “Jeff”?  That’s like one step above “Johnny” for boring male lead names.  By the way, has anyone else noticed how many terrible movies have leads named “Johnny”?
 Johnny.
 Johnny.
Also Johnny.  It’s like romance novels and “Grace”.  But I’m getting sidetracked.  The point is, Jeff sucks as a character.  But that’s okay.  Maybe he’s our Jerry Seinfeld, and the jokes aren’t about him, they’re him responding to everyone else.  Spoiler alert: he isn’t.  If he was, he wouldn’t be nice.  He’d have to be a jerk.  I bring this up because as we read the comic, we find out Jeff actually is a jerk, but he’s still not funny.  They have masterfully sidestepped any attempts at making this character endearing.
Okay, what about our supporting cast?  Next up is Frank.
Okay, at this point I’m beginning to suspect our author does not know what “turn-ons” and “turn-offs” are.
“But how else could I tell people up-front he’s cynical and apathetic?” says the author, hypothetically.
“You rewrite your character profiles, you idiot.  And while you’re at it rewrite your characters and your comic,” I reply.
Give him interests or something.  I get the feeling you didn’t fully think through this character.  Now, I’m a writer, so if I may, let me attempt to empathize with the author here:
“Oh, man!  I just thought of a great joke!  But how can I set it up?  Oh, I know, I’ll make one of my characters angry, because that’s the kind of character I need for this joke to work!”
I’ve been there.  So let me tell you, it is a terrible writing process.  Comedy comes naturally from well-developed characters and situations, not vice-versa.
Moving on now, we have Peg.

While in theory this meets my criterion of him having interests, I’d like to point out the list reads as: sports, clubbing, food, sex, cigars, picking things up and throwing them, beer, Call of Duty, leaving his underwear everywhere, forgetting anniversaries, and testosterone.  You see the problem.
Also his “turn-offs” just says “Hassles”.  Like, wow, really?  I would never have guessed someone disliked hassles.
And now perhaps the worst addition to this impressively-bad cast, Becki.

Becki is barely a character; the only thing that keeps me calling her a character is the technical definition.  She exists solely as Jeff’s primary conflict.  Oh, who am I kidding, only conflict; multiple plot strings is far beyond this comic’s capability.
“Aloofness”.  They aren’t even trying to be subtle.  This reads like Jeff wrote it, since it basically just lists the problems Jeff finds with her rather than, I don’t know, making her sound like a person.
Are you going to give us any insight into this, or just act like this is enough information?  What is her opinion on the matter?  Surely she must have realized she has a negative pattern, if it is the sole defining characteristic in her life.  She can’t even say, “I like knitting and I often pick bad men”.  She has literally nothing else about which to think.
“Men being nice to her” is a turn-off, says the self-described “nice guy”.  Okay, I’m going to come back to that.
So, our comic begins here:

Already we see some of the recurring problems with the comic.  The first and most important being: Jeff is not a nice guy.  He does not respect women for their minds, and he is not some poor maligned gentleman pushed aside by women only interested in jerks.  While you could say that I’m only saying this because real life doesn’t work like that, it doesn’t even work within the microcosm of the comic.  This author had the power to distort facts as much as he wanted, courtesy of artistic license, and he still can’t make his main character likeable.
The fact that she has a boyfriend means he no longer cares what she’s saying.  What she’s saying, need I remind you, is reflective of her personality, the thing about which you so fervently claim you care.  Because you can’t hump her as of the present.  You see the problem right?
The problem isn’t that you’re nice, Jeff, the problem is that you’re a jerk.  Speaking as an actual nice guy, I have, since about Freshman year of high school, had a nearly constant stream of beautiful girls throwing themselves at me.



Yeah, you laugh. 
Okay, fine, a little misogyny.  I’ve certainly seen worse things.  I’ve laughed at worse things.  If I need to remind you, I have in the past not only laughed at but made jokes about 9/11, Hiroshima, and the Holocaust.  The Nice Guy distinguishes itself by not being very funny.
 Funny.
Funny.

Not even a chuckle.  The problem is not rooted in its sexism.  I'm certainly no white knight, it's just simply not funny.
I guess my problem with this is sort of similar to my biggest problem with Twilight: it’s not just that the protagonist is an unlikable martyr-complex hypocrite, it's that we’re supposed to agree with them and all the horrible selfish things they say and do.
But don't worry about them just making unfunny sexist jokes over and over; they're making the same unfunny sexist jokes over and over.  I’ve got some punchlines here: let’s take a looksie.  First up, “making a bet”:

 Next, “Are you thinking what I’m thinking?”


A quick aside on this one--most of the time when there are a certain number of characters it’s because that number is necessary to the style and structure of the work, at least in cases where the work is good.  In this case the roommates, Black-Haired Unit and Blonde-Haired Unit, are entirely redundant characters.
And of course their personal favorite, “You’re disrespecting women and I’m disapproving of you.”





Move over, Gary Larson.
Now, I’d like to point out that in every case, he ends with some variation of “I give up”.  Those are some solid convictions which you can not and will not uphold there, Jeff.
And of course there’s just the flat out “Guys besides Jeff are jerks" angle.
  At one point, eschewing all pretense, they just flat-out end with a “yo momma” joke.

Saying something is stupid doesn’t make your joke funny, especially so when you're blatantly laughing at your own jokes.  Saying something is stupid in a funny way is funny.  Learn the difference.
But of course the biggest problem with this webcomic is Jeff and his belief that he is the sage Nice Guy who just needs a chance to show Becki he can make her happy.  To him, I say this:

Clearly this show is important to you.  We know you’ve known Becki for a while.  And yet you’ve never had a conversation long enough for you to even tangentially mention Firefly?  The show you faithfully watch every month?  On top of that, your “soulmate”--hold on, those scare quotes aren’t big or sarcastic enough:
soul mate
is someone who doesn’t even like your favorite show?  I mean, in a relationship, it’s not required that you like every single thing the other person likes, but if you don’t have any common interests, it’s usually a sign you’re not meant to be together.  Which would be fine if you were just in it for the sex instead of a long-term relationship.  And for as much as Jeff seems to dislike that Filler Characters B and C only date bimbos, Becki seems to be a pretty stupid hot girl.  More importantly (and remember I said I’d get back to this), it seems to me all too likely that Becki is not turned off by people being nice to her, she’s turned off by Jeff because he is a colossal dick.
Okay, nerds love nerd jokes.  This is particularly true of webcomics, where “geeky” is considered the norm amongst the audience.


 The Nice Guy has the “nerd” part down... sort of.  Its references are skin-deep, but they’re there.  What it doesn’t have down is the “joke”.

I can’t really explain the joke here for the same reason I can’t tell you much about Bigfoot.  I can’t quite say it doesn’t exist, but the evidence is spotty at best.
See, here’s the thing: an homage is not the same thing as re-using a joke.  An homage requires creativity, taking something the creator admires and putting it in a new light that both takes new humor from it while it shows affection for the original.  To explain what I mean, I'm going to show you this example from Malcolm in the Middle, which I could not find in video form:

 Malcolm: (laughs) Check this out.

Reese: What does it say?
Malcolm: Just read it, it’s funny.
Reese: I don’t read.  Not unless I absolutely have to for school.  Otherwise I feel like they’ve won.

Malcolm: You’ve never read the paper?
Reese: No.

Malcolm: Not even comics?  Like Peanuts.  You’ve never read Peanuts?
Reese: Nope.

Malcolm: Are you serious?  You’ve never read Peanuts?
Reese: Uh-uh.

 Malcolm: Go ahead!  I promise I’ll hold it!

See what it did there?  How it turned the old joke into a new joke?  How it used what someone else made along with its own existing comedic context?
This is what The Nice Guy does:

We’ve seen this before.  It’s.  Not.  Funny.  It doesn’t bring anything new to the table.

So we’ve pretty much confirmed the writer has absolutely no understanding of how comedy works.  But of course, the comedy was just a secondary goal.  The primary purpose of The Nice Guy is for the poorly-disguised-if-at-all author stand-in can talk about how terrible it is being him.


Oh no!  Gaining a new friend!?  How awful!  Sex is the only thing that matters.
By the way, I’ve already touched upon the sexist overtones that border on the hilarious considering their context, but I feel like I should at least cover the rest of that comic:

Ha ha!  Frank slept with a fat girl!  Everyone knows that means she’s worth less as a person.
And Becki is such a great person, isn’t she?  I don’t know how Jeff keeps his hands off of her.  Seriously, dude, what do you see in her?  When you were a little kid, did you think, “Someday, I’m going to marry a woman that’s stupid, insecure, and easily manipulated!”  If you did, then I’m starting to suspect you might be evil.  Like, hard-core, old-fashioned, Lifetime-Movie-of-the-Week-husband material evil.
Showing Peg constantly scoring because he’s callous to his sexual partners?  You really do respect women, don’t you, Mr. Author?
Okay, I’m going to have to be discriminating here, since there’s something horribly wrong with just about every one of these ~75 comics.
 Ha ha!  Frank likes Firefly.  That’s the beginning and end of this joke.
You’re so thoughtful and considerate, Jeff.  That seems like the perfect time to solicit sex.
Aaagh.  It’s really hard to narrow it down.  I need to step out for some air.

*****
 Okay, while the comic is mostly episodic, it has had a few small story arcs, a term which is misleading in implying there’s a story.  There’s the “summertime”... temporally sequential comics and the “worker’s comp” temporally sequential comics.

The best part of Becki is how she looks in a bikini.
That’s being too generous.  It implies there’s another aspect for it to be better than.
For as much as I dislike the fact that they're so blatantly objectifying women, they have at the same time created a woman with no use outside of being objectified.  I'm not sure how to feel.
SO FUNNY.
The comics take place one after another, but there’s no build-up or pay-off as a result.  Story arcs are there to develop characters and tension in a way that episodic comic strips can’t.  What did we learn here?  It’s just repeating the same non-jokes that we’ve seen in every comic before.
The workman’s comp arc: Frank fakes an injury, sues the company, and then he gets found out when the insurance people catch him playing basketball.  I’m not going to show it here because it would be redundant.  You’ve seen it before.

I have one more complaint about the writing, but I want to save that for the end.  For now, I’m going to focus on the art.  What can I say about it?  It’s... okay... I guess.  I’ve seen worse.  At the same time, though, it’s pretty obvious they’re not trying very hard.
 
Look at those poses!  That’s how real people stand!
What, did you take an art class and drop out after the first day?  “Ha ha!  I’ve learned what I need to know!  So long, suckers!”  I mean, I’m no artist--
 --but even I find this shameful.  Also the mouths are all way too big.  They scare me.

I take it Ctrl + C is getting a lot of use there, eh Watts?

Okay, now one final complaint, lodged against what I believe may be the single worst entry in this portfolio of growing shame in my gender:
Wh... what is this?  Is he joking?  He thinks it makes him a good person to not consider date-raping a girl?  That doesn’t make you a good person!  That qualifies you as a person!  Are you so horrible that you would disregard everything you claim to believe for sex with an unconscious girl?  You unforgivable hypocrite!  “You’re better than that”--clearly he isn’t!   “I deserve some counterpoint”?  You’re trying to rationalize date-rape?  You’re asking for someone to tell you to rape someone?  Keep in mind, you’re arguing against the angels.  I think we’ve found our devil in this equation!  The devil is telling you to do things more innocuous than the thing you were already contemplating doing!  You horrible human being!  Have you no sense of morality!?  I can’t even ask “don’t you realize raping is wrong?” because you obviously do and you’re trying to talk yourself into it anyway!  You are Skeletor!  You are Verminous Skumm!  You are Judge Doom!  You are evil for the sake of evil!  You are not a “nice guy”!  At this point I am willing to say you are beyond saving!  Get out of my sight, you repulsive slug!  You tremendous waste of carbon and peptides!
This webcomic is terrible.  No one has any reason to read it, and I’d be happy to never so much as hear of it again.  I say good day to you sir!
-Curly

Good comics cited: Boat Crime, XKCD, Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal, and Hark! A Vagrant
Johnnies from The Room, Battlefield Earth, and Cool as Ice, respectively.

2 comments:

  1. This is what is up.

    "Ha ha! Frank slept with a fat girl! Everyone knows that means she’s worth less as a person."

    Yes yes yes yes yes.
    You understand how STUPID and SHALLOW so many people are.

    A good read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You wrote this a while ago so maybe you won't read this, but I stumbled upon your rant after running across The Nice Guy comic on the internet.

    I'll admit, I found the comic funny at first. Not because I buy into the nice guy trope, but because I thought the authors were secretly trying to be as ironic as possible. Then it dawned upon me. Wait, they're being serious???

    ReplyDelete